These two projects were planned for two separate entries. I have a hard enough time coming up with stuff to post for you all, that I need to ration my good ideas. I allow you only one per day and sometimes not even that! But, the holidays are a time for thoughtfulness, right?
So, I hope that if you are in need of some last minute gifts, that these can be useful to you.
First up, quick teacher gifts. I plan to cover the composition notebooks with cute paper, and awesome phrases about how great teachers are, but if it happens, it will be a Christmas miracle!
To make these fun bookmark/journal keepers, all you need is 20" of ribbon, one ponytail holder and one button. Sew the ribbon around the ponytail holder. Sew the button onto the other end and you are done!
Next up, the Kindle cover.
Is it just me, or do you feel like you would be violated as a person if you were to pay the amount they ask for these things?
This is for a certain teen-aged boy child who loves reading. Knit, fabric, girly paper or anything of the sort just wouldn't do. So, I started with a discarded book that I picked up for .50¢.
I cut the insides out without cutting the spine.
At first I thought I could just use some book binding tape to strengthen the binding. However, it was still a bit flimsy.
Having removed the insides of the book, it needed something down the spine the same width as what was taken from it. I cut this out of chipboard. I also cut a piece to lay over the back inside cover. You'll see why as we go.
Next I covered over the spine piece with more bookbinding tape. Then, I marked where I thought corner elastic tabs would go. It turns out if you want corner tabs, you will want to bring them in at least 1/2" to 1" further than I did, otherwise they won't hold the Kindle in place, but just slip off the corners instead. (I tell you this now so you won't make the same mistake, unless you want the effect I eventually devised as a solution.)
I put eyelets in the holes, just for the fun of it. Right now is where I learn that the holes are in the wrong places. Never fear though. I think my elastic technique adds a cool touch... and that baby isn't going anywhere! Here's what it looks like on the back. I glued the elastic to each other and to the chipboard on the backside. (By the way, even though you can't see it, the Kindle is on the other side so that I know how tightly to pull the elastic.)
Then I turned this whole thing over and glued the entire unit to the inside back cover of the book.
Here's what it looks like closed.
One of my very favorite parts of it is the title.... Twilight Stories, which will be somewhat of an inside joke for him.
This project will not be embellished or decorated in any way. It was designed with Ethan in mind and plain/industrial will suit him perfectly. But, of course, you're welcome to dress yours up however you like.
Hopefully my instructions can help you save 20 bucks or so. I made the entire thing with items that were already lying around my house.... of course, I have a lot of things lying around my house that average person may not, but we are not average, we are crafters!